“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
I Thessalonians 5:16-18
With so much going on around here this week, I think a random list would be most fitting –
1. I am thankful for the wonderful time we (especially the kids) had with their 4 friends who stayed with us the past 5 days. We had beautiful weather, which accommodated swimming and playing outside and the children all got along better than I would have expected for so many days together. Even so, I am also thankful to get the house back to normal now, since the departure of our little friends last night. (Everything seems so quiet this morning!)
2. I am thankful for the blessing of being married 25 years (yesterday) to my sweetheart. I am thankful for the happy times we’ve rejoiced in and for the hard times we’ve grown through. I am thankful that God has given me a man of great patience and self-sacrifice who loves the Lord, loves me and loves his children. And I am thankful that the Lord has blessed our marriage with the 9 beautiful children He has given us.
3. I am thankful for my son, Robert, who celebrated his 23rd birthday this week! You can read more about Robert here.
4. I am thankful for my son, Ryan, who celebrated his 20th birthday this week! You can read more about Ryan here.
5. I am thankful that the attic project is finished and all of the storage boxes have left my living room and gone back into storage. I am thankful that I was able to get through all of the clothing boxes – sorting them out and paring them down – a long overdue project. I am thankful that God enabled me to get rid of 5-6 large bags of clothing (I’m so bad about letting things go – it is truly His grace that did it!)
6. I am thankful that summer is beginning around here with swimming, outside activities, a family vacation coming up in another week, and relaxing, fun times.
7. I am thankful for Philippians 4: 8 –
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”
This verse is so encouraging to me and the Lord has been using it in my life a lot lately to retrain my mind on how to think, as I tend to always expect the worse in order to prepare and protect myself from hurt, but He says to focus on the good and trust Him for everything. This verse brings such freedom to my spirit, but old habits die hard and I need to cling to this verse daily as He weeds out the old thought patterns.
8. Which brings me to my final thought – I am thankful for this verse – Philippians 1:6 –
“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”
This verse encourages me when I am discouraged as change and growth are so slow. It is a good reminder that He is the one doing the work in us and that it is never hopeless. I can rest in my Father’s arms and trust Him to grow me into the image of His Son, inch by inch, knowing that it is His perfect will and therefore, will be accomplished.
Please be sure to check out more thankful thoughts by clicking the button below to visit Iris’s site and find the list of Thankful Thursday participants this week.
Filed under: Thankful Thursday |