Today marks the halfway point of the year, so I thought this would be a good time to review those goals I had for the year. You know those goals I wrote about in January – 10 Things That I Want to Do in 2008. . . if you missed that post, you can go back and read it (you can certainly go back and read it even if you didn’t miss it – I won’t stop you) or you can stay tuned, because I will recount the list here in this post with my updates on the progress I’m making. This may be somewhat embarrassing, but it will be good for me, right? Okay, here goes –
1. Declutter my house – Well, I am making definite progress with this one, but still have a ways to go. I have gotten rid of many clothes, some toys and some general items. I have yet to reach the upstairs hall, which I am actually looking forward to – I am envisioning being able to throw out much of what is up there (old school books, games with missing pieces, etc.) and that is always a great feeling!
2. Lose some weight – Ouch! This one hurts. I have not yet lost any weight, but the Lord is working in my heart and life, dealing with strongholds that need to come down. It is a slow, agonizing process, but I know, in the end, it will result in a closer walk with Him and eventually, the weight loss will follow.
3. Spend more time consistently in God’s Word – I have to say that this one is still a struggle for me. I’m sure it is partly the season of life I am in, but I’m not using that as an excuse. I read alot about God and read Scriptures quoted, but I really want to just spend more time in His Word, communing with Him.
5. Show more love to my family – Double ouch!! I think I’m getting worse at this one. Remember those verses about the tongue – well, I need to revisit them – especially this past week! If you think of it, please keep me in your prayers that I would relax and enjoy my family more, and stress out less! Oh, Mother Hen had a great post yesterday about this very thing that struck a nerve in my heart – go read it, you’ll be blessed!
6. (I’m over halfway through the list now, and only bleeding a little bit, let’s see if it gets any better!) Read more books with my children – This one is going fairly well, although I would like to bump it up a bit and have a daily reading time with the older ones, as I do with the younger ones. We started reading aloud together towards the end of the school year and really had fun with it.
8. Learn to cook more things from scratch – I have made several things (pie crusts, for example), but mostly I feel in the dark about how to do this. I will keep working on this one – maybe I will create a new notebook where I will compile all of the data I research on the subject – and of course, I will have to cover it with nice kitcheny paper! (probably gingham)
9. (almost done!) Plant an herb garden – Yay!!!! I found one that I have definitely done! And I really love my herb garden (I’ll love it more when I learn how to use it)! Want to see pictures? Click here or scroll down to see my last post about my gardens. (Okay, only one more to go – I think I’m going to survive.)
10. Grow deeper in my relationship with my Lord – Well, I feel good with this one. He is my constant companion, no matter where I am or what I’m doing. He is holding me by the hand as He walks me through the growth that He is producing in me and He is gently showing me the way I need to go. Of course, I take no credit for this one – after all He has promised –
“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 1:6
Whew! I think I will be okay. There are definitely areas to work on, but I’ve got another half of a year to work on them (Lord willing). I’m glad I decided to look back and remind myself of my goals – it will help me to focus once again on what really matters. Have you looked at your January goals lately?